Work With Us
Front of House Staff
Chelsea Theatre is looking for Front of House Staff to support its operation, from Reception to bar to ushering duties. This is a diverse role where everyday will bring different challenges.
Responsibilities will include
Reception and Room Hire
- Locking and unlocking the building and managing the alarm
- Welcoming visitors to the building and answering enquiries.
- Answering telephone enquiries and taking messages.
- Monitoring processing the [email protected] email account.
- Taking booking enquiries to the point they are ready to be referred to senior management for processing.
- Other administrative duties as required.
- Checking all equipment (tables, chairs etc.) are clean and in safe working order.
- Preparing rooms for hire by checking cleanliness and setting up with required equipment.
- Replacing all equipment after the hire, checking room has been left in good order by hires.
- Working with the Tech Team to provide more complex tech equipment
- Maintaining public and private spaces in good order and ensuring cleanliness between visits, including regular WC checks.
- Ensuring all health and safety, fire and safeguarding protocols are enforced.
- Acting as fire officer in various parts of the building as required.
- Checking tickets for events and selling on the door tickets.
- Other duties as directed.
- Politely directing and escorting patrons to their seats.
- Providing patrons with programs and other relevant materials.
- Checking assigned section of venue for cleanliness.
- Visually sweep the venue to check for potential safety issues and lost and found items.
- Be aware of and enforce appropriate house rules.
- Remain at assigned post throughout the event unless taking an assigned break
- Must be aware of, and follow, the proper procedures for assisting patrons with disabilities.
- Attend pre-event Usher meeting and other training required by management.
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of all venues within The Chelsea Theatre and a good understanding of evacuation procedures form all points within each venue.
- Other duties as directed.
Once staff have received Alcohol Training, they will also cover bar shifts.
- Preparing the bar service.
- Serving customers including taking orders, taking orders for interval drinks.
- Using the till and other systems to ensure the correct recording of sales and stock.
- Providing information to customers on the menu and other aspects of the theatre.
- Providing a consistent level of service to a wide range of customers.
- Working with all other theatre staff to ensure customers receive quality service throughout their visit
- Working special event evenings
- Adhering to the Company’s Health and Safety policy
- Maintaining clean working areas
- Restocking, clearing, and cleaning all areas of the bar
- Cashing up and safely storing takings.
- Maintaining stock levels and stock takes.
- Safe checks
- Being a key holder.
This position is based at the Chelsea Theatre, 7 Worlds End Place, London SW10 0DR
The Person specification
It is essential that any applicant has the following skills and experience:
- Previous customer service experience
- Previous experience of cash handling
- Proven ability to provide a high level of customer service and efficiency during periods of intensity
- Proven ability to work and manage within a small team
- Proven ability to work with a wide variety of customers
- Experience of and confidence in working with food (serving or preparation)
- Good spoken English
- A friendly, hardworking, and flexible approach to customer service and all aspects of bar work
- Availability to work evenings and weekends
- High standards of hygiene and the ability to maintain a clean and organised working area
It is desirable but not essential that any applicant has the following:
- An interest in working in an arts environment
- Previous bar or restaurant experience
- Food Hygiene Certificate
- Personal licence
Summary of conditions of employment
The successful applicant will:
- Report to the senior management team.
- Is paid an hourly rate (The London Living Wage).
- Holiday is accrued at a percentage rate 12.07% per hour.
- The post is a zero hour contract
- Uniform: Smart/casual black clothes and dark shoes (non-slip, no open toed shoes none ) to be provided by the employee.
- Other benefits – theatre ticket subsidy scheme, staff discount in the Cafe and the Bar.
Subject: FOH application